| OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS (EICOSAPENTAENOIC ACID AND DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID) EPA & DHA
Dr. Sears OmegaRx, Eskimo-3, Fish Oil, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, ICAR Prenatal Essential Omega-3, Mega Twin EPA, Natrol DHA Neuromins, Natrol Omega-3, Natural Fish Oil, Oleomed Heart, Omacor, Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate, Sea Omega, ZonePerfect Omega 3
Classifications: nutritional supplement; omega-3 fatty acids; Therapeutic: omega-3 fatty acids
Pregnancy Category: C
100 mg, 200 mg, 300 mg, 360 mg, 375 mg, 500 mg, 517 mg, 840 mg, 1000 mg, 1760 mg capsules; 900 mg/5 mL and 1800 mg/5 mL oil for oral ingestion
The mechanism of action of omega-3-acid ethyl esters is not completely understood. Potential mechanisms of action include
inhibition of acetyl-CoA and increased peroxisomal beta-oxidation in the liver.
Triglyceride lowering is the most consistent effect observed.
Adjunct to diet to reduce hypertriglyceridemia.
Adjunct nutritional supplementation for hypertriglyceridemia, rheumatoid arthritis, or for the general purpose of maintaining
a healthy heart.
Hypersensitivity to any component of the medication; pregnancy (category C); infants.
Known sensitivity or allergy to fish; concurrent use of anticoagulants or thrombolytics; lactation.
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 4 g b.i.d. or q.d.
- The daily dose may be given as one dose or divided b.i.d.
- Store 15°30° C (59°86° F).
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Body as a Whole:
Back pain, flu syndrome
, unspecified pain. GI: Diarrhea
, dyspepsia, eructation, nausea, vomiting. Metabolic/Nutritional:
Increased total cholesterol and/or LDL levels, weight gain. Skin:
Rash. Special Senses: Halitosis
, taste disturbances.
are affected by inhibition of platelet aggregation with omega-3 fatty acids.
Extensive liver metabolism
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for S&S of hypersensitivity in those with known allergy to fish.
- Monitor diabetics for loss of glycemic control.
- Lab tests: Baseline and periodic lipid profile.
- Note: Poor therapeutic response after 2 mo is an indication to discontinue drug.
- Monitor blood levels of anticoagulants with concurrent therapy.
Patient & Family Education
- Do not take omega-3 fatty acids without consulting physician if you have a chronic medical disorder.