| MECLIZINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Antivert, Antrizine, Bonamine , Bonine, Dizmiss, RuVert-M
Classifications: antihistamine; h1-receptor antagonist; anti-vertigo agent; Therapeutic: antihistamine, h1-receptor antagonist, antivertigo
Pregnancy Category: B
12.5 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg tablets; 25 mg, 30 mg capsules
Long-acting antihistamine, with marked effect in blocking histamine-induced vasopressive response but only slight anticholinergic
action. Marked depressant action on labyrinthine excitability and on conduction in vestibular-cerebellar pathways.
Exhibits antivertigo, and antiemetic effects.
Management of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness and in vertigo associated with diseases affecting
Hypersensitivity to meclizine; GI obstruction, ileus.
Angle-closure glaucoma, older adults, asthma, prostatic hypertrophy, pregnancy (category B), lactation. Safety in children
less than 12 y is not established.
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 2550 mg 1 h before travel, may repeat q24h if necessary for duration of journey
Adult: PO 25100 mg/d in divided doses
- Give without regard to meals.
- Ensure that chewable tablets are chewed or crushed before being swallowed with a liquid.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)CNS: Drowsiness. GI:
Dry mouth. Special Senses:
Blurred vision. Body as a Whole: Fatigue
InteractionsDrug: Alcohol, cns depressants
may potentiate sedative effects of meclizine.
Readily absorbed from GI tract. Onset:
1 h. Duration:
824 h. Distribution:
Crosses placenta. Elimination:
Primarily in feces. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Supervision of ambulation, particularly with the older adult, since drug may cause drowsiness.
- Assess effectiveness of drug and inform physician when prescribed for vertigo; dosage adjustment may be required.
Patient & Family Education
- Do not drive or engage in potentially hazardous activities until response to drug is known.
- Be aware that sedative action may add to that of alcohol, barbiturates, narcotic analgesics, or other CNS depressants.
- Take 1 h before departure when prescribed for motion sickness.