Classifications: sedative-hypnotic; anxiolytic; Therapeutic:sedative-hypnotic
Pregnancy Category: C
Controlled Substance: Schedule IV
1 mg, 2 mg, 3 mg tablets
Eszopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine sedative-hypnotic agent. The precise mechanism of action is unknown but believed to result
from its interaction with GABA-receptor complexes at binding sites close to or coupled to benzodiazepine receptors in the
Improves sleep maintenance in transient insomnia.
Treatment of insomnia.
Hypersensitivity to eszopiclone; concurrent administration with CYP3A4 inhibitor drugs; alcohol intoxication; alcoholism;
children <18 y; suicidal tendencies or ideation; pregnancy (category C).
Hepatic impairment; elderly or debilitated patients; concurrent administration of CNS DEPRESSANTS; signs and symptoms of depression; COPD; lactation.
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 23 mg h.s.
Geriatric: PO 12 mg h.s.
Severe Hepatic Impairment
PO ≤2 mg
- Give immediately prior to bedtime.
- Store at 15°30° C (59° 86° F).
Adverse Effects (≥1%)CNS:
Anxiety, confusion, depression
, dizziness, hallucinations, headache,
irritability, decreased libido, nervousness, somnolence
. CV: Tachycardia,
pericardial infusion, left ventricular systolic dysfunction (LVSD). GI:
Dry mouth, dyspepsia, nausea, vomiting. GU:
Dysmenorrhea, gynecomastia. Respiratory:
Rash, pruritus. Special Senses: Unpleasant taste
Inhibitors of CYP3A4, including (but not limited to) amiodarone, antiretroviral protease inhibitors
, aprepitant, clarithromycin, dalfopristin/quinupristin, delavirdine, diltiazem, efavirenz
(inducer or inhibitor), erythromycin, fluconazole, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, itraconazole, ketoconazole, mifepristone, nefazodone, norfloxacin,
other systemic azole antifungals
increase eszopiclone levels. Ethanol
and other cns depressant
agents can produce additive effects in combination with eszopiclone. Herbal: St. John's wort
can increase eszopiclone levels.
Rapidly absorbed from GI tract. Distribution:
5259% protein bound. Peak:
1 h. Metabolism:
Extensive hepatic metabolism. Elimination:
Primarily in the urine. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for and report worsening insomnia and cognitive or behavioral changes.
- Monitor for suicidal ideation in depressive patients.
- Monitor for S&S of CNS depression when other CNS DEPRESSANTS are used concurrently.
- Supervise ambulation if patient is out of bed after taking eszopiclone.
Patient & Family Education
- Follow directions for taking the drug (see Administration).
- Do not take this drug unless you can get at least 8 h of sleep.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this drug.
- Do not take with or immediately after a high fat meal.
- Do not drive or engage in potentially hazardous activities until response to drug is known.
- Report any of the following to a health care provider: worsening insomnia, cognitive or behavioral changes, problem with reproductive