Lotrimin Ultra, Mentax
Classifications: antifungal antibiotic; Therapeutic:antifungal antibiotic
Pregnancy Category: B
Exerts antifungal action by inhibiting fungal sterol synthesis that is needed in formation of the fungal cell membrane.
Antifungal effectiveness against interdigital tinea pedis (athlete's foot), tinea corporis (ringworm), and tinea cruris (jock itch).
Treatment of tinea pedis, tinea corporis, and tinea cruris due to Epidermophyton floccosum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Trichophyton rubrum.
Hypersensitivity to butenafine; ophthalmic or vaginal administration.
Hypersensitivity to naftifine or tolnaftate; pregnancy (category B); lactation. Safety and efficacy in children <12 y are
Route & Dosage
Adult/Child (>12 y): Topical Apply to affected area and surrounding skin b.i.d. times 7 d or q.d. times 4 wk
Tinea Corporis, Tinea Cruris
Adult/Child (>12 y): Topical Apply to affected area and surrounding skin once daily
- Apply sufficient cream to cover affected skin and surrounding areas.
- Do not use occlusive dressing unless specifically directed to do so.
- Store at 5°30° C (41°86° F).
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Skin:
Burning/stinging at application site, contact dermatitis, erythema
, irritation, itching.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Note: 24 wk of therapy are usually required for effective treatment.
Patient & Family Education
- Discontinue medication and notify physician if irritation or sensitivity develops.
- Avoid contact with mucous membranes.
- Wash hands thoroughly before and after application of cream.