Classifications: antihistamine; h1-receptor antagonist; ocular antihistamine; Therapeutic: antihistamine
Pregnancy Category: C
137 mcg/spray nasal spray; 0.05% ophthalmic solution
Potent histamine H1 receptor antagonist and inhibitor of mast cell release of histamine.
Effective in the symptomatic treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis and as a nasal decongestant.
Seasonal allergic rhinitis, itching associated with allergic conjunctivitis.
Hypersensitivity to azelastine; concurrent use of CNS depressants; pregnancy (category C), lactation. Safety and efficacy
in children <3 y for ophthalmic solution use, and <5 y for nasal spay use.
Hepatic or renal disease; asthmatics.
Route & Dosage
Adult: Intranasal 2 sprays per nostril b.i.d.
Child (511 y): Intranasal 1 spray per nostril b.i.d.
See Appendix A-1.
- Prime delivery unit before first use (see manufacturer's instructions).
- Instruct patient to clear nasal passages prior to drug installation; then tilt head forward slightly and sniff gently when
drug is sprayed into each nostril.
- Store the bottle upright at room temperature, 15°30° C (59°86° F).
Adverse Effects (≥1%) Body as a Whole: Fatigue
, dizziness. GI:
Dry mouth, nausea. Metabolic:
Weight gain. CNS: Headache, somnolence. Respiratory:
paroxysmal sneezing, cough, asthma
. Special Senses: Bitter taste,
nasal burning, epistaxis, conjunctivitis
and cns depressants
may cause reduced alertness.
40% from nasal inhalation. Peak:
23 h. Metabolism:
Active metabolites. Elimination:
Primarily in feces. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor level of alertness especially in older adults and with concurrent use of other CNS depressants.
Patient & Family Education
- Follow manufacturer's directions for priming the metered dose spray unit before first use and after storage of >3 d.
- Tilt head forward while instilling spray. Avoid getting spray in eyes.
- Do not drive or engage in potentially hazardous activities until response to drug is known.
- Avoid concurrent use of CNS depressants, such as alcohol, while taking this drug.
- Discard spray unit and dispensing package bottle after 3 mo.