Semprex-D (combination with pseudoephedrine)
Classifications: h1-receptor antagonist; decongestant; Therapeutic: antihistamine; decongestant
Pregnancy Category: B
Acrivastine 8 mg/pseudoephedrine 60 mg capsules
Acrivastine is an H1-receptor histamine antagonist that controls histamine-mediated symptoms and acts on sympathetic nerve endings. Pseudoephedrine
shrinks swollen nasal mucous membranes and reduces nasal congestion of the mucosa.
It is effective in allergic rhinitis by reducing nasal congestion and decreasing respiratory mucosa swelling.
Seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis with nasal congestion.
Hypersensitivity to acrivastine, triprolidine, pseudoephedrine, or ephedrine; severe hypertension or severe coronary artery
disease; patients on MAO inhibitor drugs; uncontrolled hypertension; tachycardia, acute cardiac arrhythmias; closed-angle
Renal insufficiency, hypertension, DM, ischemic heart disease, increased intraocular pressure, hyperthyroidism, BPH, GI
disorders, older adults, pregnancy (category B), lactation. Safety and effectiveness in children <12 y is not established.
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 1 tab (8 mg acrivastine/60 mg pseudoephedrine) t.i.d.
- Do not give to patients with a creatinine clearance of 48 mL/min or less.
- Store at 15°25° C (59°77° F); protect from light and moisture.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)CNS:
Headache, vertigo, dizziness, insomnia
, jitteriness, drowsiness. GI:
Nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, dyspepsia.
may increase psychomotor impairment.
Rapidly from GI tract. Onset:
1 h. Duration:
Approximately 12 h. Metabolism:
In liver. Elimination:
Approximately 65% excreted unchanged in urine. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for dizziness, sedation, urinary obstruction, and hypotension, especially in older adults.
- Assess for significant drowsiness, which may necessitate drug discontinuation.
Patient & Family Education
- Do not use this drug in combination with other OTC antihistamines or decongestants.
- Do not drive or engage in potentially hazardous activities until response to drug is known.
- Do not take alcohol or other CNS depressants while taking this drug.