Aftate, Pitrex , Tinactin
Classifications: antifungal antibiotic; Therapeutic: antifungal antibiotic
Pregnancy Category: C
1% cream, solution, gel, powder, spray
Synthetic topical antifungal agent. Tolnaftate distorts hyphae and stunts mycelial growth on susceptible fungi.
Fungistatic or fungicidal as well as antiinfective against bacteria, protozoa, and viruses.
Tinea pedis (athlete's foot), tinea cruris (jock itch), tinea corporis (body ringworm); also tinea capitis and tinea unguium
if infection is superficial, plantar or palmar lesions adjunctively with keratolytic agents, and tinea versicolor (caused
by Malassezia furfur).
Skin irritations prior to therapy, nail and scalp infections; immunosuppressed patients, diabetes mellitus, peripheral vascular
disease. Hypersensitivity to tolnaftate; lactation; occlusive dressing over drug; pregnancy (category C). Safe use in children
<2 y is not established.
Route & Dosage
Adult/Child: Topical Apply 0.51 cm (1/4? in.) of cream or 3 drops of solution b.i.d. in morning and evening; powder
may be used prophylactically in normally moist areas
- Cleanse site thoroughly with water and dry completely before applying. Massage thin layer gently into skin. Make sure area
is not wet from excess drug after application.
- Shake aerosol powder container well before use.
- Note: Cream and powder are not recommended for nail or scalp infection.
- Use liquids (solutions) for scalp infection or to treat hairy areas.
- Store cream, gel, powder, and topical solution in light-resistant containers at 15°30° C (59°86°
F); store aerosol container at 2°30° C (38°86° F). Avoid freezing and exposure to light.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Skin:
Local irritation, stinging of skin from aerosol formulation.
Patient & Family Education
- Expect relief from pruritus, soreness, and burning within 2472 h after start of treatment.
- Continue treatment for 23 wk after disappearance of all symptoms to prevent recurrence.
- Return to physician for reevaluation in absence of improvement within 4 wk.
- Note: If skin has thickened as a result of the infection, desired clinical response may be delayed for 46 wk.
- Avoid contact with eyes of all drug forms.
- Place container in warm water to liquify contents if solution solidifies. Potency is unaffected.