Classifications: antibiotic; azole antifungal; Therapeutic: azole antifungal
Pregnancy Category: C
6.5% vaginal ointment
Broad-spectrum antifungal agent that inhibits growth of human pathogenic yeasts by disrupting normal fungal cell membrane
Effective against Candida albicans, other species of Candida, and Torulopsis glabrata.
Local treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis.
Hypersensitivity to tioconazole or other imidazole antifungal agents; pregnancy (category C), children <12 y; lactation.
Diabetes mellitus; HIV infections; immunosuppression.
Route & Dosage
Adult: Intravaginal One applicator full h.s. x 1 d
- Insert applicator high into the vagina (except during pregnancy).
- Wash applicator before and after each use.
- Store away from direct heat and light.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Urogenital:
Mild erythema, burning, discomfort, rash, itching.
May inactivate spermicidal effects of nonoxynol-9.
Minimal absorption from vagina.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Do not use for patient with a history of allergic reaction to other antifungal agents, such as miconazole.
- Monitor for sensitization and irritation; these may be an indication to discontinue drug.
Patient & Family Education
- Learn correct application technique.
- Understand potential adverse reactions, including sensitization and allergic response.
- Tioconazole may interact with diaphragms and latex condoms; avoid concurrent use within 72 h.
- Refrain from sexual intercourse while using tioconazole.
- Wear only cotton underwear; change daily.