| TETRAHYDROZOLINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Collyrium, Mallazine, Murine Plus, Optigene, Soothe, Tyzine, Visine
Classifications: eye, ear, nose, and throat preparation; vasoconstrictor; decongestant; Therapeutic: nasal decongestant; vasoconstrictor
Pregnancy Category: C
0.05% ophthalmic solution; 0.05%, 0.1% nasal solution
Alpha-adrenergic agonist that causes intense vasoconstriction when applied topically to mucous membranes. Also causes vasoconstriction
when applied as eyedrops.
Ophthalmic solution is effective for allergic reactions of the eye; nasal solution is antiinflammatory and also decreases
Symptomatic relief of minor eye irritation and allergies and for nasopharyngeal congestion of allergic or inflammatory origin.
Hypersensitivity to any component; use of ophthalmic preparation in glaucoma or other serious eye diseases; use within 14
d of MAO inhibitor therapy. Use in children <2 y; use of 0.1% or higher strengths in children <6 y; pregnancy (category
Hypertension; cardiovascular disease; hyperthyroidism; diabetes mellitus; young children; lactation.
Route & Dosage
Adult: Ophthalmic See Appendix A-1 Nasal 24 drops of 0.1% solution or spray in each nostril q3h prn
Child: Nasal 26 y, 24 drops of 0.05% solution or spray in each nostril q3h prn; ≥6 y, same as adult
- Make sure interval between doses is at least 46 h since drug action lasts 48 h.
- Place patient in upright position when using nasal spray. (If patient is reclining, a stream rather than a spray may be
ejected, with consequent overdosage.)
- Use lateral, head-low position to administer nasal drops.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Special Senses: Transient stinging,
dryness, headache, tremors, drowsiness, light-headedness, insomnia
, palpitation. Body as a Whole:
With overdose: marked drowsiness, sweating, coma,
May be absorbed from nasal mucosa. Duration:
Patient & Family Education
- Discontinue medication and consult physician if relief is not obtained within 48 h or if symptoms persist or increase.
- Do not exceed recommended dosage. Rebound congestion and rhinitis may occur with frequent or prolonged use of nasal preparation.