| TERBINAFINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Lamisil, Lamisil DermaGel
Classifications: antibiotic; allylamine antifungal; Therapeutic: antibiotic; antifungal
Pregnancy Category: B
250 mg tablets; 1% cream; 1.12% gel
Synthetic antifungal agent that inhibits sterol biosynthesis in fungi and ultimately causes fungal cell death.
Effective as a topical antifungal treatment as well as in oral form.
Topical treatment of superficial mycoses such as interdigital tinea pedis, tinea cruris, and tinea corporis due to Epidermophyton floccosum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, or T. rubrum; oral treatment of onychomycosis due to tinea unguium.
Hypersensitivity to terbinafine; alcoholism; hepatic disease; hepatitis; jaundice; renal impairment; renal failure; lactation.
Pregnancy (category B). Safety and efficacy in children <12 y are not established.
Route & Dosage
|Tinea Pedis, Tinea Cruris, or Tinea Corporis
Adult: Topical Apply q.d. or b.i.d. to affected and immediately surrounding areas until clinical signs and symptoms are significantly improved
Adult: PO 250 mg q.d. x 6 wk for fingernails or x 12 wk for toenails
- Apply externally. Avoid application to mucous membranes and avoid contact with eyes.
- Do not use occlusive dressings unless specifically directed to do so by physician.
- Store at 15°30° C (59°86° F).
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Skin:
Pruritus, local burning, dryness, rash, vesiculation, redness, contact dermatitis at application site. CNS: Headache. GI:
Diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, liver test abnormalities, liver failure (rare). Hematologic:
Neutropenia (rare). Special Senses:
May increase theophylline
levels; may decrease cyclosporine
may decrease terbinafine
70% PO; approximately 3.5% of topical dose is absorbed systemically. Elimination:
In urine. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for and report increased skin irritation.
Patient & Family Education
- Learn correct technique for application of cream.
- Notify physician if drug causes increased skin irritation or sensitivity.
- Be aware that medication must be used for full treatment time to be effective.