| SEVELAMER HYDROCHLORIDE
Classifications: electrolyte and water balance agent; phosphate binder; Therapeutic: phosphate binder
Pregnancy Category: C
403 mg capsules; 400 mg, 800 mg tablets
Polymer that binds intestinal phosphate; interacts with phosphate by way of ion-exchange and hydrogen binding. Advantageously,
does not contain aluminum or calcium in treating hyperphosphatemia in end stage kidney failure.
Indicated by a serum phosphate level ≤6.0 mg/dL.
Reduction of serum phosphorus in patients with end-stage kidney disease.
Hypophosphatemia; hypersensitivity to sevelamer HCl; fecal impaction; bowel obstruction; hypophosphatemia; appendicitis;
dysphagia, GI bleeding, major GI surgery; pregnancy (category C), lactation. Safety and efficacy in children <18 y are not
GI motility disorders; vitamin deficiencies (especially vitamins D, E, and K and folic acid).
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 2 capsules or tablets t.i.d. for serum phosphorus >6 and <7.5 mg/dL; 3 capsules or tablets t.i.d. for serum phosphorus >7.5
and <9 mg/dL; 4 capsules or tablets t.i.d. for serum phosphorus ≥9 mg/dL
- Give with meals; do not open or chew capsule.
- Give other oral medications 1 h before or 3 h after Renagel.
- Discard capsules after printed expiration date.
- Store at 15°30° C (59°86° F); protect from moisture.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Body as a Whole:
Headache, infection, pain. CV:
Hypertension, hypotension, thrombosis. GI:
Diarrhea, dyspepsia, vomiting, nausea, constipation
, flatulence. Respiratory:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Lab tests: Obtain frequent serum phosphate levels.
Patient & Family Education
- Do not use capsules after printed expiration date.
- Take daily multivitamin supplement approved by physician.