Classifications: antiviral; Therapeutic: antiviral
Pregnancy Category: C
100 mg tablets; 50 mg/5 mL syrup
Antiviral agent for treatment and prophylaxis of influenza A infections. Thought to exert an inhibitory effect early in
the viral replication cycle, probably by interfering with the viral uncoating procedure of the influenza A virus. Inhibits
synthesis of both viral RNA and viral protein, thus causing viral destruction.
Prevents or interrupts influenza A infections.
Prophylaxis and treatment of influenza A.
Hypersensitivity to rimantadine and amantadine; pregnancy (category C), lactation, children <1 y.
History of seizures; renal or hepatic impairment; elderly.
Route & Dosage
|Prophylaxis of Influenza A
Adult/Child (≥10 y): PO 100 mg b.i.d.
Child (19 y): PO 5 mg/kg q.d. (max: 150 mg/d)
Geriatric: PO 100 mg q.d.
Treatment of Influenza A
Adult/Adolescent (>14 y): PO 100 mg b.i.d. started within 48 h of symptoms and continued for 57 d from initial symptoms
Geriatric: PO 100 mg q.d. started within 48 h of symptoms and continued for 57 d from initial symptoms
100 mg q.d.
Clcr <10 mL/min: extend dosing interval to 24 h
- Store at 15°30° C (59°86° F).
Adverse Effects (≥1%)CNS:
Nervousness, dizziness, headache, sleep disturbances, fatigue
or malaise, drowsiness, anticholinergic effects. GI:
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dyspepsia, dry mouth, anorexia, abdominal pain.
vaccine should not be used within 48 h.
Readily absorbed from GI tract. Peak:
Serum levels 3.24.3 h. Distribution:
Concentrates in respiratory secretions. Metabolism:
Extensively in liver. Elimination:
By kidneys. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor carefully for seizure activity in patients with a history of seizures. Seizures are an indication to discontinue
- Monitor cardiac, respiratory, and neurologic status while on drug. Report palpitations, hypertension, dyspnea, or pedal edema.
Patient & Family Education
- Report bothersome adverse effects to physician; especially hallucinations, palpitations, difficulty breathing, and swelling
- Use caution with hazardous activities until reaction to drug is known.