A-200 Pyrinate, Barc, Blue, Pyrinate, Pyrinyl, R & C, RID, TISIT, Triple X
Classifications: pediculicide; Therapeutic: antiparasitic; pediculicide
Pregnancy Category: C
0.18%, 0.2%, 0.3% liquid; 0.3% gel; 0.3% shampoo
Pediculicide solution that contains active chemicals in deodorized kerosene. Acts as a contact poison affecting the parasite's
nervous system, causing paralysis and death.
Controls head lice, pubic (crab) lice, and body lice and their eggs (nits).
External treatment of Pediculus humanus infestations.
Sensitivity to solution components; skin infections and abrasions; pregnancy (category C), lactation.
Ragweed-sensitized patient, infants, children.
Route & Dosage
| Pediculus humanus Infestations
Adult: Topical See Administration for appropriate application
- Apply enough solution to completely wet infested area, including hair. Allow to remain on area for 10 min.
- Wash and rinse with large amounts of warm water.
- Use fine-toothed comb to remove lice and eggs from hair.
- Shampoo hair to restore body and luster.
- Repeat treatment once in 24 h if necessary.
- Repeat treatment in 710 d to kill newly hatched lice.
- Do not apply to eyebrows or eyelashes without consulting physician.
- Flush eyes with copious amounts of warm water if accidental contact occurs.
Adverse Effects (≥1%) Body as a Whole:
Irritation with repeated use.
Patient & Family Education
- Do not swallow, inhale, or allow pyrethrins to contact mucosal surfaces or the eyes.
- Discontinue use and consult physician if treated area becomes irritated.
- Examine each family member carefully; if infested, treat immediately to prevent spread or reinfestation of previously treated
- Dry clean, boil, or otherwise treat contaminated clothing. Sterilize (soak in pyrethrins) comb and brushes used by patient.
- Do not share combs, brushes, or other headgear with another person.