Classifications: antiviral; Therapeutic: antiviral
Pregnancy Category: B
10 mg/g cream
Antiviral agent active against herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). HSV-1 and HSV-2 infected cells phosphorylate
penciclovir utilizing viral thymidine kinase. Resulting form of penciclovir competes with viral DNA, thus inhibiting both
viral DNA synthesis and replication.
Inhibits both viral DNA synthesis and replication. Effectiveness is measured in decreased viral load.
Treatment of recurrent herpes labialis (cold sores).
Hypersensitivity to penciclovir, lactation.
Pregnancy (category B). Safety and efficacy in children <12 y have not been established. Safety in immunocompromised patients
is not established.
Route & Dosage
Adult: Topical Apply q2h while awake x 4 d
- Apply as soon as possible after developing lesion.
- Do not apply to mucous membranes or near the eyes.
- Store at or below 30° C (86° F). Do not freeze.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)CNS:
Minimally absorbed from cold sore.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor the extent of lesions and treatment effectiveness.
Patient & Family Education
- Wash hands before and after application. Avoid contact of drug with eyes.
- Apply sunscreen to lips; may minimize recurrence of lesions.