Afrin, Dristan Long Lasting, Duramist Plus, Duration, Nafrine , Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour, Nostrilla, Sinex Long Lasting
Classifications: nasal preparation; decongestant; Therapeutic: decongestant
Pregnancy Category: C
0.025%, 0.05% solution
Sympathomimetic agent that acts directly on alpha receptors of sympathetic nervous system resulting in relief of nasal congestion.
Constricts smaller arterioles in nasal passages and has prolonged decongestant effect.
Relief of nasal congestion in a variety of allergic and infectious disorders of the upper respiratory tract; used as nasal
tampon to facilitate intranasal examination or before nasal surgery. Also used as adjunct in treatment and prevention of
middle ear infection by decreasing congestion of eustachian ostia.
Use in children <2 y; closed-angle glaucoma; pregnancy (category C); lactation.
Within 14 d of MAO inhibitors, coronary artery disease, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus.
Route & Dosage
Adult: Intranasal 23 drops or 23 sprays of 0.05% solution into each nostril b.i.d. for up to 35 d
Child: Intranasal 25 y, 23 drops or 23 sprays of 0.025% solution into each nostril b.i.d. for up to 35 d; >6 y, same as for adult
- Place spray nozzle in nostril without occluding it and tilt head slightly forward prior to instillation of spray; sniff
briskly during administration.
- Rinse dropper or spray tip in hot water after each use to prevent contamination of solution by nasal secretions.
- Usually given in the morning and at bedtime. Effects appear within 30 min and last about 67 h.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Special Senses: Burning,
stinging, dryness of nasal mucosa
, sneezing. Body as a Whole:
Headache, light-headedness, drowsiness, insomnia
, palpitations, rebound congestion.
No clinically significant interactions established.
510 min. Duration:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for S&S of excess use. If noted, discuss possibility of rebound congestion.
Patient & Family Education
- Wash hands carefully after handling oxymetazoline. Anisocoria (inequality of pupil size, blurred vision) can develop if
eyes are rubbed with contaminated fingers.
- Do not to exceed recommended dosage. Rebound congestion (chemical rhinitis) may occur with prolonged or excessive use.
- Systemic effects can result from swallowing excessive medication.