| NEDOCROMIL SODIUM
Classifications: antiinflammatory; mast cell stabilizer; antiasthmatic; Therapeutic: antiasthmatic; mast cell stabilizer
Prototype: Cromolyn sodium
Pregnancy Category: B
1.75 mg aerosol; 2% ophthalmic solution
Inhibits activation of and mediators released from inflammatory cell types associated with asthma (e.g., neutrophils, mast
Inhibits release of inflammatory mediators including histamine and prostaglandin D2.
Maintenance therapy for patients with mild to moderate asthma. Ocular use for allergic conjunctivitis (see Appendix A-1).
Hypersensitivity to nedocromil; acute bronchospasm, particularly status asthmaticus; children <6 y.
Pregnancy (category B), lactation.
Route & Dosage
Adult: Inhalation 2 inhalations q.i.d. at regular intervals, NOT for acute asthma attacks
Child (≥6 y): Inhalation 2 inhalations q.i.d.
- Use correct administration technique to ensure maximum drug efficacy. Review instruction leaflet supplied by manufacturer.
- Reduce dosage in stages, with each lower dose maintained for several weeks of good control prior to further decreasing dose.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)GI: Abnormal bitter taste,
nausea, vomiting. CNS:
Headache, dizziness. Respiratory:
Sore throat irritation, cough.
No clinically significant interactions established.
90% of dose is deposited in throat and swallowed. Less than 7% is absorbed systemically in patients with asthma
1 wk for therapeutic effect. Peak:
1020 min. Metabolism:
Does not appear to be metabolized. Elimination:
6% in urine in 72 h. Half-Life:
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Assess for coughing and bronchospasms induced by nedocromil. These are indications for discontinuation of drug and should
be promptly reported.
- Monitor patients for whom systemic or inhaled steroid therapy has been reduced, as nedocromil may not fully substitute for
the decrease in dose of steroid.
Patient & Family Education
- Learn to administer the drug properly. Review patient instruction leaflet.
- Do not use it to treat acute bronchospasms because nedocromil is not a bronchodilator.
- Continue regular nedocromil therapy even during symptom-free periods.