| NANDROLONE DECANOATE
Classifications: hormone; anabolic/androgen steroid; Therapeutic: anabolic steroid
Pregnancy Category: X
Controlled Substance: Schedule III
100 mg/mL, 200 mg/mL injection
Synthetic steroid with high ratio of anabolic activity to androgenic activity. Actions last 34 wk.
Increases hemoglobin and red cell mass and increases lean body mass in patients with cachexia (muscle wasting).
Control of metastatic breast cancer, management of anemia of renal insufficiency.
Males with prostate or breast cancer; severe cardiac disease; liver dysfunction, severe renal disease; nephrotic syndrome,
hypercalcemia; pregnancy (category X), lactation.
Benign prostatic hypertrophy, history of MI; CAD; diabetes mellitus; heart failure; BPH; children.
Route & Dosage
Adult: IM 50200 mg/wk
Child (213 y): IM 2550 mg q34wk
Metastatic Breast Cancer
Adult: IM 50100 mg/wk
- Inject drug deep IM, preferably into gluteal muscle in adult. Follow agency policy regarding IM site in small child.
- Intermittent therapy is usually recommended (4-mo course of treatment followed by 68-wk rest period).
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Body as a Whole:
Muscle cramps. GI: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
, anorexia, abdominal fullness, cholestatic jaundice
, hepatic necrosis, hepatocellular neoplasms. Hematologic: Leukopenia
Sodium, chloride, water, potassium, phosphate, and calcium retention, ankle edema, glucose intolerance, increased cholesterol. CNS:
, chills, toxic confusion. Endocrine: Acne, virilization.
May increase hypoprothrombinemic effects of warfarin;
may decrease insulin
may increase edema. Herbal: Echinacea
may increase risk of hepatotoxicity.
Slowly absorbed from IM injection site over 4 d. Peak:
36 d. Metabolism:
In liver to active metabolite
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Lab tests: Obtain baseline and periodic liver function evaluations and electrolyte levels.
- Monitor for S&S of hepatic toxicity (see Appendix F) and electrolyte imbalance, especially hyperkalemia and hypercalcemia
(see Appendix F).
- Monitor diabetics for loss of glycemic control.
Patient & Family Education
- Note: In women, the drug may cause virilization (e.g., increased facial and body hair, deepening of voice).