|KAOLIN AND PECTIN
(kay'oh-lin and pek'tin)
Classifications: antidiarrheal; Therapeutic: antidiarrheal
Pregnancy Category: C
5.2 g Kaolin/260 mg pectin/30 mL, 90 g Kaolin/2 g pectin/30 mL
Kaolin is hydrated aluminum silicate adsorpant. Kaolin is reported to have adsorbent, protectant, and demulcent properties.
Mechanism of action of pectin may help consolidate stool.
Effective as an antidiarrheal agent.
Adjunct in symptomatic treatment of mild to moderately severe acute diarrhea. Commonly used in antidiarrheal combination
Suspected obstructive bowel lesion, pseudomembranous colitis, diarrhea associated with bacterial toxins; presence of fever;
use for more than 48 h without medical direction; pregnancy (category C), lactation.
Infants or children ≤3 y, older adults.
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 60120 mL of regular suspension or 4590 mL of concentrated suspension after each loose bowel movement
Child: PO 35 y, 1530 mL regular suspension or 15 mL concentrated suspension after each loose bowel movement; 611 y, 3060 mL regular suspension or 30 mL concentrated suspension after each loose bowel movement; ≥12 y, 60 mL regular suspension or 45 mL concentrated suspension after each loose bowel movement
- Administer at least 24 h before other oral medications.
- Shake suspension well before pouring.
- Store in tightly closed container at 15°30° C (59°86° F) unless otherwise directed. Protect
Adverse Effects (≥1%)GI: Constipation
usually mild and transient.
InteractionsDrug: Chloroquine, digoxin, penicillamine, tetracycline, ciprofloxacin,
and most other drugs.
Not absorbed from GI tract.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Assess for abdominal distension and number of stools per day.
- Note: Fecal impaction may result from taking kaolin and pectin, especially in older adults.
- Note: Drug may decrease absorption of any orally administered medication.
Patient & Family Education
- Do not exceed prescribed dosage.
- Notify physician if diarrhea is not controlled within 48 h or if fever develops.