| Hyaluronidase, Ovine
Classifications: enzyme; absorption and dispersing enhancer; Therapeutic: absorption and dispersing enhancer
Pregnancy Category: C
150 units/mL and 200 units/mL for injection; lyophilized powder, 6200 units
Hyaluronidase is a diffusing substance that modifies the permeability of connective tissue through the hydrolysis of hyaluronic
acid found in the intercellular substance of connective tissue. It temporarily decreases the viscosity of cellular cement
and promotes diffusion of injected fluids or exudates, adding to their absorption.
It increases the absorption and dispersion of solutions in the intercellular spaces.
Adjuvant to increase the absorption and dispersion of other injected drugs; hypodermoclysis; adjunct in subcutaneous urography
for improving resorption of radiopaque agents.
Adjunct for ophthalmic anesthesia, treatment of vitreous hemorrhage and diabetic retinopathy.
Hypersensitivity to hyaluronidase or any other ingredient in formulation; concurrent use with dopamine or alpha-agonist
drugs; injection into infected or acutely inflamed area, area of swelling due to bites or stings; corneal injection; injection
by IV; pregnancy (category C).
Route & Dosage
|Adjuvant to Increase the Absorption and Dispersion of Other Drugs
Adult: 150 units (range: 50300) added to solution
Child: 150 units (range: 50300) added to solution
Adult: 15 units added to each 100 mL of fluid
Child (≥3 y): 15 units added to each 100 mL of fluid
Adult: SC 75 units prior to contrast medium
Child: SC 75 units prior to contrast medium
AdministrationSubcutaneous or Solution Additive
- Reconstitute vial with 6.2 mL NS for injection to yield 1000 U/mL. Apply the 5-micron filter needle to the 1 mL syringe
in injection kit and further dilute: To produce 50 U/mL, withdraw 0.05 mL reconstituted solution and add 0.95 mL NS. To
produce 75 U/mL, withdraw 0.075 mL reconstituted solution and add 0.925 mL NS. To produce 150 U/mL, withdraw 0.15 mL reconstituted
solution and add 0.85 mL NS. To produce 300 U/mL, withdraw 0.3 mL reconstituted solution and add 0.7 mL NS. Use immediately
- Give SC prior to contrast media. Do not inject near an infected or acutely inflamed area.
- Store unopened vial at 2°8° C (35°46° F). After reconstitution, store at 20°25°
C (59°77° F), and use within 6 h. Protect from light.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)CV:
Injection site reaction (e.g., erythema
, irritation); enhanced adverse events associated with coadministered drugs.
, or h1-blockers
may confer partial resistant to the action of hyaluronidase in some tissues.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for S&S of hypersensitivity: urticaria, erythema, chills, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, tachycardia, and hypotension.
Withhold and notify physician if hypersensitivity occurs.
- Note: Those receiving large doses of salicylates, cortisone, ACTH, estrogens, or antihistamines may require larger amounts
of hyaluronidase for equivalent dispersing effect.
Patient & Family Education
- Report immediately any of the following: rash, itching, chills, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or palpitations.