|DOCUSATE CALCIUM (DIOCTYL CALCIUM SULFOSUCCINATE)
DCS, PMS-Docusate Calcium, Pro-Cal-Sof, Surfak
Dialose, Diocto-K, Kasof
Colace, Colace Enema, Dio-Sul, Disonate, DGSS, D-S-S, Duosol, Lax-gel, Laxinate 100, Modane Soft, Pro-Sof, Regulax , Regutol, Therevac-Plus, Therevac-SB
Classifications: stool softener; Therapeutic:stool softener
Pregnancy Category: C
Docusate Calcium: 50 mg, 240 mg capsules;
Docusate Potassium: 100 mg tablets; 240 mg capsules;
Docusate Sodium: 100 mg tablets; 50 mg, 100 mg, 240 mg, 250 mg capsules; 50 mg/15 mL 60 mg/15 mL, 150 mg/15 mL syrup
Anionic surface-active agent with emulsifying and wetting properties.
Detergent action lowers surface tension, permitting water and fats to penetrate and soften stools for easier passage.
Prophylactically in patients who should avoid straining during defecation and for treatment of constipation associated with
hard, dry stools (e.g., following anorectal surgery, MI).
Atonic constipation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fecal impaction, structural anomalies of colon and rectum, intestinal
obstruction or perforation; use of docusate sodium in patients on sodium restriction; use of docusate potassium in patients
with renal dysfunction; concomitant use of mineral oil; pregnancy (category C).
History of CHF, edema, diabetes mellitus.
Route & Dosage
Adult: PO 50500 mg/d PR 50100 mg added to enema fluid
Child: PO <3 y, 1040 mg/d; 36 y, 2060 mg/d; 612 y, 40120 mg/d
- Give with a full glass of water if allowed.
- Store syrup formulations in tight, light-resistant containers at 15°30° C (59°86° F) unless
- Microenema: Insert full length of nozzle (half length for children) into the rectum. Squeeze entire contents of tube and
remove completely before releasing grip on tube.
- Store in tightly covered containers.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)GI:
Occasional mild abdominal cramps, diarrhea,
nausea, bitter taste. Other:
Throat irritation (liquid preparation), rash.
Docusate will increase systemic absorption of mineral oil.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Withhold drug if diarrhea develops and notify physician.
- Therapeutic effectiveness: Usually apparent 13 d after first dose.
Patient & Family Education
- Take sufficient liquid with each dose and increase fluid intake during the day, if allowed. Oral liquid (NOT syrup) may be administered in milk, fruit juice, or infant formula to mask bitter taste.
- Do not take concomitantly with mineral oil.
- Do not take for prolonged periods in lieu of proper dietary management or treatment of underlying causes of constipation.