Classifications: scabicide; antipruritic; Therapeutic: scabicide; antipruritic
Pregnancy Category: C
10% cream, lotion
By unknown mechanisms, drug eradicates Sarcoptes scabiei and effectively relieves itching.
Scabicidal and antipruritic agent.
Treatment of scabies and for symptomatic treatment of pruritus.
Application to acutely inflamed skin, raw or weeping surfaces, eyes, or mouth; history of previous sensitivity to crotamiton;
pregnancy (category C).
Route & Dosage
Adult/Child: Topical Apply a thin layer of cream from neck to toes; apply a second layer 24 h later. Bathe 48 h after last application to remove
- Shake container well before use of solution.
- The skin must be thoroughly dry before applying medication.
- If drug accidentally contacts eyes, thoroughly flush out medication with water.
- Pruritus treatment: massage medication gently into affected areas until it is completely absorbed. Repeat as needed (usually
effective for 610 h).
- Store in tightly closed containers at 15°30° C (59°86° F). Do not freeze.
Adverse Effects (≥1%)Skin:
Skin irritation (particularly with prolonged use), rash, erythema
, sensation of warmth, allergic sensitization.
No clinically significant interactions established.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for and report significant skin irritation or allergic sensitization.
Patient & Family Education
- Review package insert before treatment begins.
- Discontinue medication and report to physician if irritation or sensitization develops.